If you’re looking for a simple, educational activity that incorporates a mini-lesson on American history…then look no further.
1. Review basic facts about the American flag…Betsy Ross made the first American flag. The 50 stars stand for America’s 50 states, while the 13 red and white stripes represent the 13 colonies (7 red and 6 white stripes). Nicknames for the American flag include “Stars and Stripes,” “Old Glory,” and “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
2. Color the upper left-hand corner of the index card blue (or cut a small blue rectangle and glue to same corner).
3. Place star stickers on the blue section.
4. Using red marker, draw horizontal red stripes while leaving space for white stripes (or glue down red strips of paper).
5. Glue a wooden craft stick on the back of the index card.
6. Allow to dry.
7. Proudly wave your American flag at your local 4th of July parade.
Some of our top picks for 4th of July children’s books include:
This post contains affiliate links. Letters In The Sand will receive a small commission from any purchases you make from these links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.