Sometimes it is downright challenging to talk about emotions with children. Our family is going through a lot of changes right now and something I am trying to do more than ever is…TALK and LISTEN with my precious kiddos. I want them to know that they can tell me anything (doesn’t mean there won’t be consequences to bad choices and/or decisions, but they can come to me with anything). I want them to know that I will always be there for them…no matter what.
This Happy Hand Social/Emotional Craft is a nice way to make a craft and get your little one(s) talking and sharing.
You will need: construction paper, crayons, markers, stickers, goggly eyes, pencil, and glue.
1. Trace your little one’s hand (depending on their age/ability, they can trace their own hand).
2. Have them decorate their hand with crayons, markers, stickers, etc.
3. Stick or glue eyes to the hand.
4. While they are doing the above steps, talk with them about what makes them special. Discuss unique characteristics, qualities, and talents they have. Encourage them to talk positively about themselves. Choose and write a special quality on each finger.
5. Display so they (and you!) can be reminded how special they truly are!!