Shapes are an important basic concept for children to learn. Shapes Around Me Rectangles (Anita Loughrey) is a great book to help your youngster(s) recognize rectangles and distinguish them from other shapes.
1. Read the book aloud (or have your youngster read it aloud).
2. Discuss each question and activity.
3. Provide adequate time for them to think about each activity.
4. Encourage them to discuss what they see and to ask questions.
5. After reading the book, some follow-up activities for your youngster(s) may include: practice drawing rectangles; cut out pictures of rectangles from magazines and newspapers; play “I Spy” in search of rectangles; form rectangles out of Playdough or clay; and make a collage out of rectangles.